Thursday, May 11, 2006

MacroEconoCrochet

While trying to get a handle on all the noise about the price of gold, the falling dollar, rising commodities & metals, I came across this comforting piece of news: Why You Should Be Terrified (you might have to register to read it, sorry!). Those Fools really do a great job of saying what should already be known, but we never bothered to check. It really does help to have someone spell it out sometimes!

As for me, I'll remember that I'm still working toward being primarily an investor in companies traded on US exchanges. I'm not already trading global markets on the forex, so I'm not going to worry about trying to figure out the economic consequences of the devaluation of the Rinminbi (sometimes called the Yuan, or Juan in Southern China) being unpegged against the US Dollar. Stick with the basics and everything else will take care of itself: focus.

Jack Welch once told a large group of students that the best tip to success is focus. He said that, whatever you do, find something and stick with it. In today's ADHD environment, I'd say that's pretty good advice. Hell, it's taken me over 2 hours just to write this dang bit because I've been downloading Podcasts and watching Adult Swim! Now that's not very responsible, is it? As I always tell my son, "Do as I say, not as I do."

No comments: